06 January 2019

2018 - it's a wrap.

I always say to myself that New Years is not a big deal - just another night like every other night.
People who know me well, know that I am a perfectionist so if you get me started - my planning mode will go bananas. Expectations rise to the moon and I will be a pain to be around if I get disappointed. So for everyone’s well being I tell myself New Years is no biggie.

As I am getting older and I have gotten to know myself better over the years this tactic has worked really well. Most years we have gone out the night before and ended up being so hung over on New Year’s Eve that take away and lying on the sofa has been the only manageable task worth doing. We have spent it by overselves many times having a blast in each other’s company and also spontaneously celebrated with friends.

A few months ago - we decided to book a trip to Hamburg this year, a place where we have lovely people we sadly don´t see too often. My parents gave us a hotel stay for christmas in a really sweet old school hotel and we enjoyed long mornings in comfy beds with crisp sheets with time on our hands. So much time that I though. Let´s do this 2018 list of mine even though I decided not to. It always takes longer than I think. But it's great fun so even though a bit late - better late than never.

So let´s do this -

2018 - it´s a wrap what did you have to offer !

Best Museum - 
The Gabrielle Münter House in Murnau just outside Munich. A really small little hidden treasure if you’re a fan of: Der Blaue Reiter, Gabrielle Münter and Kandinsky this is a must. The beautiful landscape surroundings just outside doesn’t make it less attractive. A great excursion if you ever have the chance to be in the South of Germany.


Best Ice Cream moment -
So hard to choose - but I think this one. A spontaneous wine and ice cream date with my man at 108 - the corner sometime end of May. With a popsicle ice cream from the food market next to it. Can't even remember what it tasted like - summer probably but I just remember it was real good.



Best Concert - 
This is a tough cookie - because this year was such a great concert year.
But NOTHING beats Beyoncé & Jay Z in Parken in Copenhagen. My lovely friend Lára was given a massive birthday surprise, by her amazing man. Two tickets to see these epic freaking amazing musicians and she choose me to be her dancing partner in crime and we went crazy! What a show.
I couldn’t decide where to keep my eyes on Queen B or Jigga Jay Z. Most amazing crowd and their stage performance was out of this world.

The costumes, the bling, the choreography the everything and they told us we were the best crowd on the tour and the thousands of us felt like she meant it and don’t tell me they say this every night because we felt we were their favourites every seconds of that concert. Completely out of this world. What a night !



But Mø with my darling Line friends at Royal Arena was epic too, Coco O at DR Concert Hall with my man was beautiful as always. She is a true star - such an amazing voice never disappoints whatever venue we see her in and Bikstok at Vega was a great reminder that you never get to old for hip hop.

Best Breakfast -
Lille Bakery with my man a few weeks before christmas - our breakfast game is strong. And I love a good breakfast. It is my favorite meal of the day, no matter if it’s by myself at home or with friends and family in restaurants. But this one is the first one I came to think of probably because we had a few hours just to ourselves - traveling from one doctors appointment to another. Having a day off in the middle of the week is such luxury. It felt like time stood still and it was great. It's a hipster Instagram heaven so it's always packed even on a Tuesday but at least it felt a wee bit more peaceful than on a weekend and we enjoyed every minute of it making a brunch date turn into a lunch date and rolling out after our stay.



Did you go for a swim in the Ocean?
Yes - this summer was out of this world, the weather was so warm. If we think about the global warming perspective freaking scary but it sure was a great summer. I went for a swim after work almost every day this summer. Discovered Ofelia Beach - a wooden pram in the freaking middle of Copenhagen which turned into my sweet spot after work. We biked to Bellevue beach and enjoyed lazy weekends, swam in Oslo which was magical and in Spain where we spent two weeks.
Best summer ever.


Best Restaurant -
It’s been a year of Italians - Copenhagen is turning away from new nordic to real simple Italian comfort food. With a Scandinavian twist but still a fun change. For us who are bored to death by the standard 10 course set menus that all contains beef tartare and gourmet sliders this is a great step in the right direction. I much rather want a perfect main and a fun dessert paired with wine that makes my mouth water than a marathon of boring dishes that are Instagram worthy but bores my taste buds.
Mangia and Barabba are my favourites - but a few evenings at Bar Pasta will stay in my memory from this year as well.




And even though Relæ for sure is a member of the New Nordic scene, boy what a level up from so many of the others. Although I had the juice menu and I will dream of that wine pairing for our next visit we had such a lovely evening with taste explosions from a whole other level just around the corner from our house.


Best Coffee - 
Stumptown in New York. A complete surprise a few meters from the hotel I stayed with work while being back again in the big apple after so many years on a business trip. There is no time for exploring new coffee places when on these trips but an early morning when I was out for a walk I just stumbled upon this true institution for coffee lovers I had a latte sent from heaven. And it did good !


Best snack - 
Fish Roe season, this pictures says it all.
It was breathtakingly simply and og so yummy !!!


Where did you travel to -

I went to a Summerhouse in Hundested with the Line Friends, spent days at the summerhouse at Kegnæs with my man, traveled to Spain twice once in May and August, traveled to London and New York with work, enjoyed windy days and even swam in the ocean at Vesterhavet with sweet friends in April, enjoyed myself with friends in Hamburg meine Perle in May and over New Years, celebrated the Norwegian national holiday in May in Oslo, went to a summerhouse at Langeland also for the first time, went home to Munich and off course last but not least had our annual julbord tradition at Vallåsen. Crazy what all has been packed into one year !!! Too much flying that's for sure but at least most of the other trips have been by train.















Best books -
Vigdis Hjort, Arv og Miljø, Carolina Setterwall, Låt oss hoppas på det bästa & Lars Saabye Christensen, Byens Spor.
I have been reading Norwegian and Swedish books this year. I enjoy just disappearing in a world far away from everyday life and reading in different languages than Danish. I think it keeps my mind sane.


Best movie - 
From the top of my head - I must say: Call me by your name.
Beautiful setting, with amazing clothes and characters I completely fell in love with. We saw it at one of our favorite movie theaters - Grand in Copenhagen. And we have spent hours talking about it and praising the movie with friends afterwords. When a friend told me the house from the movie with the shared bathroom with green tiles was up for sale I very seriously though about how I could fund the money. Just the thought about getting rid of all of our things and heading to Italy still makes me excited. I still need to find a yellow and white striped shirt for next summer.


Best magazine cover - 
Vogue's cover with Iselin Steiro, she is THE most beautiful model in the planet and this fashion editorial was out of this world. My love for sports wear is still strong.


How did you spend your birthday - 
I celebrated this year with a bunch of girls - ate yummy buratta and drank aperol spritz.
I think it was a few days later than my actual birthday because on the day - my man took me out on a perfect date night after work. Because I had been a good girl all year the weather was sunny and warm. We had cake at Winter Spring Dessert a great little dessert place on a side street to Nyhavn - just next door we had bubbles at an italian wine bar and ended the night at Barabba where we he had delicious food. I am one lucky girl and my man treats me well. It was the best birthday I could wish for !!! 





Best person - 
For sure this cheaky monkey - you are my favourite person in crime any day.


How did you spend this New Years - 
We spent this New Years eating Raclette - a great 80´ies tradition the Germans keep going strong, we had „kransekage“ a typical Danish tradition while watching the Danish Queens annual speech, watched „same procedure as every year miss Sophie“ with friends and danced the night away to the sounds of Ace of Base, Queen and Abba.
I woke up the next morning with a huge grin on my face - it was the best start in the New Year.
My moto is - if it's not on Instagram it didn't happen - well all my photos are blurry and dark so this is the only one that made it on Instagram. But it did happen - maybe a note to self - more social media detox in the new year ...