21 April 2011

Dip dye part #1

I have spent a few hours at the textile department again - dying silk.
The sustainable aspect of the project has been important to me therefore I wanted to use a  recycled  PET polyester - from Japanese Tejin - well I am guessing only the textile nerds knows what "recycled PET" is, but it's basically recycled soda bottles. I got this fabric in white and tried with a zillion different color mixtures to dye it blue without any luck, at the end I had to give it up because I was told by some experts that if I wanted it to get the right color I would have to add some chemicals into the coloring process and that would ruin my thought of sustainability ... But now I have found a beautiful silk and the pictures are from the process of dying it. When the garments are finished they will be partly dipped into black color - therefore the name dip dye :)