06 May 2011

Imagined Nostalgia





Imagined Nostalgia from Jack Siegel on Vimeo.




Where is a better place to find the talent of tomorrow than in the art schools of New York City? We sat down with artist Lucien Smith, who graduates from Cooper Union in a few weeks, to talk about his senior show Imagined Nostalgia opening this week at The Cooper Gallery. The video provided for the exhibit gives you a glimpse into the many faces of the future art world in a yearbook-type style and as the title suggests imposes some hypothetical nostalgia on to these young artists.
Natasha: Where do you work best? Are you studio based or do you work in a more ad hoc fashion?
Lucien: I work best in the studio. Right now my situation is a shared studio space, though it is quiet, it’s hard for me to work around other people. I listen to music a lot, with headphones sometimes to shut out people if it becomes a problem. I find music passes the time too. It helps with the more time consuming pieces.
Natasha: Where do you see yourself in contemporary art practice?
Lucien: My practice consists of painting, sculpture, video, and photography. All of which are of equal importance. Out of the four I find the sculptures im producing right now to be the most provocative, in the sense that i’ve been thinking a lot about the ready made, and manufactured objects such as couches, BMX bikes, and gymnasium equipment. Although I find that everything I make is somehow in conversation with contemporary art issues, I try to keep things simple and stick to the basics. I’m more interested in just creating objects. Read More »
By Natasha Arnold





I ripped this stuff off from the Dossier Magazine blog
If you are somewhere near you should check it out !